of Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information Technologies (UP
8, SI-6000 Koper, Slovenia
dragan.marusic [at] upr.si
Slovenian Research Code: 02887.
Education and Academic Career:
– present: Professor, University of Primorska
- 1991 – 1992: Fulbright Scholar, University of California, Santa Cruz,
- 1988 – present: Professor, University of Ljubljana;
- 1985 – 1988: Assistant Professor, University of California, Santa Cruz,
- 1984 – 1985: Assistant Professor University of Minnesota, Duluth, USA;
- 1983 – 1984: Mathematics Teacher, Slovenian High School, Koper;
- 1982 – 1983: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Reading,
- 1981 – 1982: Mandatory military service;
- 1981: PhD in mathematics, Department of Mathematics, University of
Reading, Reading, England, supervisor Crispin
St. J. A. Nash-Williams.
and Academic Promotions:
Recipient of the award
of Beijing Jiaotong
University, Beijing, P.R. China.
Recipient of the award "Priznanje 15.
City Koper Community for the
educational and scientific contribution to the development of Koper.
Recipient of the award Gold Medal of UP.
Recipient of Žiga Zois
Award (highest form of
scientific recognition in Slovenia) for scientific
achievements in algebra and graph theory.
Full Professor promotion, University of Ljubljana.
1st Prize in the "Young scientists category" for the
PhD thesis "On vertex symmetric digraphs", Sixth Congress of
Balkan Mathematicians, Pitesti, Romania.
– 1981: Paul White Studentship in Pure Mathematics, Reading
University, Reading, UK.
3rd Prize in the Students Category, Second Congress of
Balkan Mathematicians, Athens, Greece.
and Management Positions:
– present: Rector of
the University of Primorska.
– 2011: Dean of UP FAMNIT.
– 2006: Coordinator of the process of establishing the Faculty of
Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Information
Technologies, University of Primorska
– 1991: Vice Rector for student affairs, University of Ljubljana.
- 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Slovenian Int. Conference on Graph
Theory, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2007, 2011, Bled, and 2015,
Kranjska Gora, Slovenia.
- Algebraic Combinatorics
on the Adriatic Coast I, II, III and IV, 2003, 2004, 2008 and
2009, Koper, Slovenia.
- Minisymposium "Hamiltonicity
of Vertex-transitive Graphs" at SIAM Conference on Discrete Math.,
Victoria, BC, Canada, 2006.
- First Korea -
Slovenia Int. Conference On Combinatorial and Computational Math.,
Koper, Slovenia, 2007.
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th SYGN - Symmetries of Graphs
and Networks, 2010, 2012 and 2014, Rogla,
Summer School in Discrete Math., 2011,
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, Rogla,
Theory Semester, 2012, Koper,
and 3th Annual Mississippi Discrete Math. Workshop,
2013, 2014, Starkville, USA.
Research Grants – Leadership:
- 1999 – present: P1-0285
Algebra, discrete mathematics, probability theory and game
theory, Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS).
- 2015 - 2018: N1-0038
Graphs and odd automorphisms, ARRS.
- 2014 – 2017:
J1–6720 Algebraic graph theory with applications, ARRS.
- 2013 – 2016: J1–5433
Application of semiregular group
actions in some open problems in algebraic graph theory, ARRS.
- 2011 – 2014: J1–4021
Algebraic Graph Theory and Applications, ARRS.
- 2009 – 2012:
J1–2055 About the problem of the
existence of semiregular elements
in 2-closed transitive groups with applications to
vertex-transitive graphs, ARRS.
- 2004 – 2007: L5–6135
Integration of information technology into models of teaching
and learning, ARRS.
- 1998 – 2001: J1–0496
Algebraic methods in graph theory and finite geometries, ARRS.
- 1995 – 1998:
J1–7035 Group action, graphs and finite geometries, ARRS.
- 1994 – present: more than 30 bilateral grants
with China, USA, Spain, Australia, S. Korea, Serbia,
Supervision of Graduate Students and Postdoctoral
- 7 PhD students:
Hujdurović (2013), UP;
- Cui Zhang (2011), Technical Univ. Denmark,
Kutnar (2008), UP;
Šparl (2007), Univ. Ljubljana & UP;
Potočnik (2000), Univ. Ljubljana
Zgrablić (2000), Zavarovalnica
Triglav & UP;
Malnič (1996), Univ. Ljubljana
- 6 Post-doctoral students:
- Adrian O. Waller (1996 – 1997);
- Shaofei Du (1996 – 1997, Capital Normal
- Changqun Wang (1999 – 2000, Zhengzhou Univ.,
– 2006, UP);
- Istvan Kovacs (2004
– 2006, UP);
Ma (2007 – 2008, Peking Univ.,
Abroad and Domestically:
- 2013 – 2014: Reviewer of proposals
submitted to NSA Math. Sciences Grant Program;
– 2014: Member of Board for Žiga Zois
Scientific Award of RS;
Reviewer of a proposal submitted to United States – Israel Binational
– 2013: Member of Expert Council for General Education, RS;
– present: one of the two Founding Editors and Editors-in-Chief of
the International mathematical SCI journal Ars
– present: Member of Expert Council for University Education,
Republic of Slovenia (RS);
– present: Editorial Board of the SCI journal Discrete
– present: Chairman of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Computer
Science Committee of Expert Council for University Education, RS;
– 2009: Member of Accreditation Senate of Expert Council for
University Education, RS;
– present: External examiner of PhD Theses at the Univ. the
Basque Country, The Univ. of Western Australia and Université
– present: refereeing for 20 SCI mathematical journals.